But I haven really worked on this particular picture for two

Figuring Out the Fancy Belt Photo

buy canada goose jacket Before I begin, canada goose outlet location I canada goose jacket uk love Maureen Taylor blog, Photo Detective. This week my ancestor is up for worst hair canada goose outlet parka in (possibly) photographic history. If you see this before Sunday, April 10, please go through and vote for me! My picture is of Sophie Bentley (doesn she look like fun?) and you can vote through this post. I could win Maureen Taylor latest book on dating hairstyles. Thanks! buy canada goose jacket

Canada Goose Outlet Now, a disclaimer: I am certainly no expert on dating photographs. Take everything here with a grain of salt; I just trying to figure this stuff out and learning new things every time. But here how I go about trying to learn more about an image. Canada Goose Outlet

canada goose I always liked this lady; I think she looks kind. Plus, I find her clothing interesting. But I haven really worked on this particular picture for two reasons: I have no idea who she is and there is no photographer information to get me started. Intimidating. canada goose

canada goose clearance sale Fancy Belt Lady in Frame (tintype) canada goose clearance sale

cheap Canada Goose What I do know about it: this photo came from the album owned by my GG grandmother, Lizzie Bentley. That means this lady may have a connection with the Bentley, Tupper, Ells, or Howard families of Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Since Lizzie was deaf, this lady could also be part of the deaf community. cheap Canada Goose

canada goose coats on sale Something else I can official canada goose outlet mess up: this is a tintype. The tintype canada goose outlet store toronto was first introduced in 1856 but continued to be popular right up until the early 1900s; that not so helpful. Thankfully that paper sleeve is much more datable. In fact, there are words on the right side of the paper sleeve: PATENT MARCH 7 1865. Yay! That narrows it down considerably. You can browse many photos, all with estimated (and some confirmed) dates for comparison. canada goose coats on sale

Next Canada Goose Outlet up: costume. The first thing that stood out to me is her interesting belt. There a photo of one in Dressed for the Photographer by Joan L. Severa, who calls it a Swiss belt. My lady is black and nicely embroidered. Well, an excerpt of The Dictionary of Fashion History is online and it canada goose outlet 2015 happens to canada goose outlet online include a bit about Swiss belts: “Fashionable 1815 and 1816 [nope; before photography]; again in 1860s, 1880 1900. A waistband broadening in front to a lozenge shape, pointed above and below” (pg 200). Discovering your Ancestry through Family Photographs says wide belts were popular in from 1860 to canada goose outlet washington dc 1865 (pg 67). So now we are narrowed down a smidge from 1865 to about 1870, but probably closer to mid decade.

canada goose black friday sale I also can help but notice how full her skirt is. Her sleeves are pretty wide as well, and her shirt has small buttons down the front. She is wearing some sort of long necklace with a slide, and has a bracelet on each wrist. All of these details seem to be consistent with our mid sixties estimate. canada goose black friday sale

canada goose deals So, I think the date range of 1865 1870, but probably closer to 1865, is about as good as I am going to get. I happy! That was during Lizzie Bentley time at The Deaf and Dumb institution; could this woman be associated with the school? I may not know who this lady is, but at least I know a bit more about her. And it was kinda fun, right?Dressed for the Photographer by Joan L. Severa canada goose deals

Uncovering Your Ancestry through Family Photographs by Maureen Taylor (I have the 2000 edition)The Dictionary of Fashion canada goose parka outlet History by By Valerie Cumming, canada goose jacket outlet uk C. W. Cunnington, and canada goose stockists uk P. E. Cunnington

canada goose clearance This book was a splurge, but it is absolutely fascinating. The descriptions of costumes found in portraits are incredibly detailed. Actually, they are so much so that I think The Dictionary of Fashion would helpful to use with it; I don always get what things like “point d and “Zouave jackets” are (talk about a splurge). canada goose clearance

Canada Goose Parka Before I begin, I love Maureen Taylor blog, Photo Detective. This week my ancestor is up for worst hair in (possibly) photographic history. If you see this before Sunday, April 10, please go through and vote for me! My picture is of canada goose outlet in usa Sophie Bentley (doesn she look like fun?) and you can vote canada goose jacket outlet through this post. I could win Maureen Taylor latest book on dating hairstyles. Thanks! Canada Goose Parka

buy canada goose jacket cheap Now, a disclaimer: I am certainly no expert on dating photographs. Take everything here with a grain of salt; I just trying to figure this stuff out and learning new things every time. But here how I go about trying to learn more about an image. buy canada goose jacket cheap

Canada Goose Jackets I always liked this lady; I think she looks kind. Plus, I find her clothing interesting. But I haven really worked on this canada goose outlet canada particular picture for two reasons: I have no idea who she is and there is no photographer information to get canada goose outlet nyc me started. Intimidating. Canada Goose Jackets

Canada Goose online Fancy Belt Lady in Frame (tintype) Canada Goose online

canada goose coats What I do know about it: this photo came from the album owned by my GG grandmother, Lizzie Bentley. That means this lady may have a connection with the Bentley, Tupper, Ells, or Howard families of Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Since Lizzie was deaf, this lady could also be part of the deaf community. canada goose coats

canadian goose jacket Something else I can mess up: this is a tintype. The tintype was first introduced in 1856 but continued to be popular right up until the early 1900s; that not so helpful. Thankfully that paper sleeve is much more datable. In fact, there are words on the haydar-furniture.com right side of the paper sleeve: PATENT MARCH 7 1865. Yay! That narrows it down considerably. You can browse many photos, all with estimated (and some confirmed) dates for comparison. canadian goose jacket

Next up: costume. The first thing that stood out to me is her interesting belt. There a photo of one in Dressed for the Photographer by Joan L. Severa, who calls it a Swiss belt. My lady is black and nicely embroidered. Well, an excerpt of The Dictionary of Fashion History is online and it happens to include a bit about Swiss belts: “Fashionable 1815 and 1816 [nope; before photography]; again in 1860s, 1880 1900. A waistband broadening in front to canada goose clothing uk a lozenge shape, pointed above and below” (pg 200). Discovering your Ancestry through Family Photographs says canada goose uk site wide belts were popular in from 1860 to 1865 (pg 67). So canada goose womens outlet now we are narrowed down a smidge from 1865 to about 1870, but probably closer to mid decade.

Canada Goose sale I also can help but notice how full her skirt is. Her sleeves are pretty wide as well, and her shirt has small buttons down the front. She is wearing some sort of long necklace with a slide, and has a bracelet on each wrist. All of these details seem to be consistent with our mid sixties estimate. Canada Goose sale

canada goose store So, I think the date range of 1865 1870, but canada goose sale uk probably closer to 1865, is about canada goose outlet montreal as canada goose premium outlet good as I am going to get. I happy! That was during Lizzie Bentley time at The Deaf and Dumb institution; could this woman be associated with the school? I may not know who this lady is, but at least I know a bit more about her. And it was kinda fun, right?Dressed for the Photographer by Joan L. Severa canada goose store.