They lift them up to higher tree branches

How Gay Parents Celebrate Mother

canadian goose jacket Mother’s canada goose outlet england Day and Father’s Day are a bit different in our house because we have two of one and none of the other. canadian goose jacket

Canada Goose Jackets So I approach Mother’s Day with mixed feelings. I shouldn’t, considering I’m a mom to two incredible, beautiful boys. Plus, I’m married to an incredible, beautiful woman, the other canada goose sale uk mother to our sons. Mother’s Day should be a double whammy for us. My canada goose outlet in vancouver wife Emily and I should be brunching all day long. Breakfast in bed for two! Perfume, flowersand mimosas for everyone! A big ol’ Mom Fest! Canada Goose Jackets

canada goose clearance But I’ll admit I’m selfish. canada goose outlet factory I want the perfume, flowers and Eggs Benedict all for myself. on. Emily is home from work in time to read them their bedtime books. Sometimes I am jealous of her schedule/life. Sometimes I feel sorry for her. She probably feels the canada goose outlet shop same way about me. I’m the one who drags them, screaming, out of stores when they tantrum. I arrange their playdates. I know what their favorite toy, color, TV show, shirt is at any given moment. canada goose factory outlet toronto location I make almost all of canada goose outlet kokemuksia their meals. And hear all their complaints about whatever it is I’ve dared feed them. I’ve wiped the most butts, by far. canada goose clearance

canada goose deals Plus: canada goose outlet paypal Meet the Same Sex Parents Next Door canada goose deals

Canada Goose Outlet For an untraditional family, we are, in many ways, very traditional. But that’s the reality of raising kids. Maybe there are some families who split the kid duties fifty fifty, but I’ve canada goose outlet vip never met one. Typically, there is one parent, whether male or female, who, for whatever reason, becomes the primary caregiver canada goose outlet winnipeg and one who becomes canada goose womens outlet the primary earner. For us, I am the former. And as the primary parent, I deserve my own day. Don’t I? Canada Goose Outlet

canada goose None of us or all of us deserves our own day, I suppose. And today, with more and more stay at home dads and working or primary earner moms (like Emily), the concept of “mother” is increasingly defined by sex alone. Besides, if Emily and I dive deeper into the traditional roles, we’re all over the place. I’m the bug killer. Emily does the laundry. I plant flowers. Emily mows the lawn. I am more often the daredevil while Emily espouses caution. I may wipe the most butts, but I get the most kid hugs, too, something I’d canada goose outlet reviews take over breakfast in bed any day. canada goose

Canada Goose Parka So this and every Mother’s Day Emily and I will enjoy yes brunch with our kids and some of the other moms in our family. After all, no matter what molds we fill or break, we are both mothers. Good ones. Canada Goose Parka

canada goose store Which brings us to Father’s Day. While I don’t believe that our boys need a father they have two loving, responsible parents I do consider what it means for them to not have one. People have asked if I mind the Father’s Day art projects my sons create at school: cards, photo frames, and construction paper ties. I don’t. My sons may one day be fathers themselves and I want them to know that dads are something to celebrate. Both of their parents happen to be female, but so what? Our boys give the crafts to their grandfathers, their Papa and Pap Pap. canada goose store

canada www.canadagooseuk.net goose canada goose outlet store quebec coats on sale I hang out often with dads in my neighborhood who, like me, have arranged their professional lives around their kids’ schedules, so they can be the primary caregiver. In the park and playground after school, we dole out snacks, buckle helmets, tell our kids Canada Goose Outlet to be careful with that stick, and console them when they cry (usually due to not being careful with that stick). There is not much difference in how we parent. canada goose coats on sale

canada goose black friday sale Plus: The canada goose outlet london New Normal: Stay at Home Dads, Gay Parents, and More canada goose black friday sale

canada goose clearance sale Nevertheless, I watch these fathers. What do they offer that my kids may be missing? Sure, the dads are stronger. They toss their kids around with more agility. They lift them up to higher tree branches. Their deeper voices seem to resonate a bit more when it comes to discipline. But that’s it. I am impressed canada goose outlet hong kong at both the fact that these men are their kids’ “primary” parent (not being used to the idea myself, raised by a stay at home mom) and also canada goose outlet toronto address that what we’re providing our kids with is the same: love, attention, stability snacks. canada goose clearance sale

Canada Goose online canada goose factory outlet I admit to trying too canada goose outlet montreal hard sometimes to be as physically capable as these dads. On a recent family vacation, I jumped off of a very high waterfall. I wanted to show my sons that I canada goose jacket uk could be just as canada goose outlet belgium fearless, just as “cool” as what I imagined a dad might be. Afterwards, Emily not so subtly pointed out that I was just being stupid and reckless. In fact, my waterfall stunt brought her to tears. Why? Because she’s a great, thoughtful parent, worried about the other parent to her children. Canada Goose online

Canada Goose sale Roles are fluid. There are so many ways to be a good parent. My dad was the breadwinner when I was growing up. He didn’t prepare my meals or deal with my canada goose outlet new york city tantrums. While he may not have known what soothed me when I was uncontrollably crying (answer: my mom’s Revlon face powder, patted all over my face with the included pouf, preferably by my sister, Michele), he is trying to know me now, and that’s a gift. Involved parents, whenever they happen and whatever gender they may be, are a gift. Canada Goose sale

cheap Canada Goose So come Father’s Day, we will also celebrate. Our families are filled with plenty of great dads. Most importantly, Father’s Day is another opportunity to honor the gift of involved, loving parents: Being one, having one, knowing one. It’s also a great excuse to eat BBQ and drink beer. No waterfall diving required cheap Canada Goose.