The link transfers me to the Poynter Institute with the

Hack vs Flack

Canada Goose Outlet It was time for some cleaning out of files to remind me of a pet canada goose uk peeve and how hacks (journalists) and flacks canada goose outlet niagara falls (public relations pros) often canada goose outlet real need immersion courses in geography. Canada Goose Outlet

canada goose clearance Apparently Ethiopia was also canada goose outlet houston misspelled in the headline as Ethiopa. canada goose clearance

Craig Silverman’s lessons in geography (Abu Fadil)

canada goose clearance sale In another priceless mistake, Silverman took the Hartford Courant to task for reporting on “The Counterfeiters” as an Oscar canada goose outlet store near me winning foreign film from Australia, rather than Austria. canada goose clearance sale

Whether it’s neighboring African states or countries with somewhat similar names but continents apart, it’s absolutely inexcusable.

canada goose store For some reason I can no longer find the source of these lessons in geography online. The link transfers me to the Poynter Institute with the message “Access denied. canada goose store

cheap Canada Goose But it’s not just journalists who need a map canada goose shop uk and whose knowledge of where countries and people are that leaves something to be desired. cheap Canada Goose

Canada Goose canada goose outlet online reviews Parka Many PR pros are oblivious canada goose outlet in chicago to the locations of cities, countries and continents, separated by seas and canada goose outlet reviews oceans, and yet they don’t hesitate to inundate us with all manner of immaterial content. Canada Goose Parka

Canada Goose Jackets PR people: Journalists need canada goose outlet shop you, but don’t necessarily like you. They wish you’d stop pestering them with pitches that have nothing to do with their beats. And many would rather dig ditches than do what you do. Canada Goose Jackets

canadian goose jacket I couldn’t stop laughing when I read this lead canada goose outlet miami to “What Journalists Really Think of PR People” in the New York Observer earlier this month. canadian goose jacket

The Observer conducted a survey in which journalists said they couldn’t live with PR pros, and couldn’t live without them, that the latter served a purpose, that they sort of embellished news and that, for the most part, the journalists trusted them.

canada goose Very amusing were the journalists’ comments on what got on their nerves the most about PR pros: they pester people with news that is irrelevant to reporters’ beats; they don’t know how to take no for an answer; they target the same outlets with their best stories and peddle mediocre ones to everyone else; and they can’t spell. canada goose

What the journalists didn’t say was that certain PR pros’ inattention to detail, their robotic and mindless targeting of messages to, and assumptions about, recipients’ locations were equally laughable.

I’m on the receiving end of such messages, most of which I ignore, or glance over, then ignore.

canada goose black friday sale Yes, I’ve been a Huffington Post blogger since 2007, and have been a journalist for a lot Canada Goose Jackets UK longer, but I don’t cover a beat as a reporter or a foreign correspondent as I once did. canada goose black friday sale

canada goose deals In fact I shifted gears 20 years ago, delved into academia canada goose outlet toronto location for a while, then hung out a shingle, got into training Arab journalists, and have been taking on consulting and writing/editing gigs for assorted and sundry, but mainly focused on the Middle East/North Africa region. It says so on my website. canada goose deals

Canada Goose sale But that hasn’t deterred PR peddlers from sending me releases and pitches about so and so becoming the first Spanish star to host an international talk show, about rock group KISS having a new photo app, about a request for coverage as retailers begin early Black Friday shopping incentives, and about New York sailors canada goose outlet eu returning after completing a nine month deployment. political campaign drivel and all manner of hucksterism begging for attention. Canada Goose sale

canada goose coats on sale The canada goose outlet black friday sale most amusing messages are the all expenses paid invitations to attend tours, meet with experts and visit startups, canada goose outlet toronto factory business operations and other attractions. city) for a tech and innovation tour as his guest for “exclusive, first time access to the R behind some of the world’s most respected brands.” canada goose buy canada goose uk coats on sale

canada goose coats Absent of canada goose outlet new york city a policy prohibiting you from accepting, all travel expenses will be covered, including airfare, canada goose jacket outlet uk ground canada goose outlet store calgary transportation, hotels and meals. In addition, we can help you to identify and arrange separate one off meetings with any other xxx based companies you might want to explore. canada goose coats

I went canada goose outlet woodbury on to explain that I live in Lebanon (the one in the Middle East, not the one in Pennsylvania where they make baloney). That’s an ocean and a sea away two overseas flights for starters.

buy canada goose jacket He was very nice and willing to make an canada goose discount uk effort to get me there, provided I wrote about what I saw, but his superiors’ jaws probably dropped when they found out where I was and what the price tag would be. buy canada goose jacket

Canada Goose online Which canadagooseparka brings me back to geography and knowing one’s audience. Canada Goose online

buy canada goose jacket cheap Did John Doe really check me out, or did he just do a quick search about people who write or blog and tweet about a certain subject buy canada goose jacket cheap.